The latest Windows 11 update is live! Windows 11 build 22000.120 is now available for users in the Dev and Beta Windows Insider Preview Channels. The fifth Windows 11 update brings with it a few new features along with a heap of bug fixes, which are always welcome.
What’s in Windows 11 Build 22000.120?
One of the biggest changes arriving in Windows 11 build 22000.120 is a new Family widget. The Family widget is accessible from the Widget taskbar icon and will enable you to check on the status of your family at a glance, showing information on recent activity, downloads, and so on.
Adding your family members to your taskbar might be a step too far for many. However, it shows the overall direction Microsoft is taking the reintroduced widgets in Windows 11, with lots of integration into your Microsoft account.
Another new Windows 11 feature, the taskbar Chat icon, also receives an update. Now, the Chat icon will display notification badges, allowing users to read unviewed notifications from the taskbar. However, the official Microsoft Insider Preview blog advises, “Not everyone will see it right away at first.”
Other fixes and updates come across the board:
- Adjustments to the close button on the taskbar
- Settings app will move to your active monitor when using Choose Background via Task View
- The Identify monitor button is easier to find
- File Explorer context menu compacted for mouse users, reducing its footprint
- The File Explorer context menu New button is now a dropdown list instead of a nested list
- Adjustments to spacing and sizing for ALT + Tab, task view, and Snap Assist.
Windows 11 Dev Builds Get Microsoft Store Update
Those Windows 11 users on the Insider Preview Dev Channel receive an extra update this time out, as Microsoft experiments with Microsoft Store features.
So, those running the Dev build should check the Microsoft Store for:
- A new automatic scrolling feature to highlight and discover new apps
- New design and more details on gaming app pages
- Updated ratings and review form for easier feedback
Windows 11 Build 22000.120 Bug Fixes
As with any new operating system, Windows 11 has bugs that need squashing. The Windows 11 Insider Preview scheme is a core part of finding those bugs and removing them. The latest Windows 11 build has an extensive list of bug fixes—it really is long—that you can read through in the official Insider Preview blog post, linked above.
Fixes encompass the taskbar, Settings app, File Explorer, Start menu, Windows Search, windowing, Windows Security, and inputs (keyboards and touch mice), along with a substantial list of “Others.”
As above, there are too many to list here, but the Windows 11 team is quashing a huge number of bugs with each cumulative update.
The Windows 11 build 22000.120 Insider Preview update is available now for download within Windows.
Even though we’ve seen the Windows 11 leak, there are still some features we’d like to see in the new operating system.
About The Author